PLAYWRITING MENTORSHIP FOR ASPIRING TEENAGE WRITERS
Application Due November 1, 2015
This opportunity is comprised of a 6-month mentorship for an early career playwright. The youth mentorship is designed to encourage talented young playwrights to hone their craft, gain confidence, skills, and foster the desire to bring innovative theatre to the public. Tara believes that by encouraging youth to pursue playwriting, we encourage new, vibrant theatre to exist, evolve, and give voice to the next generation through this dynamic form of art.
1. Six months of mentorship with Tara Meddaugh, who will read, review, and give feedback on the recipient’s work. This also includes weekly phone calls/emails for:
-Support and motivation
-Insights on how to begin and complete writing
-Working through challenges
-Guidance on creating a 10-minute play which will be completed during the course of the mentorship.
2. A six-session online Playwriting Course.
3. Rotating one-on-one sessions with industry professionals such as a Literary Manager, Artistic Director, Lyricist, Television Writer, Production Manager or Director. Individual professionals may vary for each mentorship.
4. One feedback session from a Literary Manager who will read and review the recipient’s 10-minute play.
1. The recipient must be between the ages of 13 and 19.
2. The recipient may be from any state within the United States, however, those who are local to the NYC area may be afforded the opportunity to meet professionals in person. Those who are not able to do so will have one-on-one sessions over the phone or a live video call.
3. The recipient must be committed to exploring and advancing his/her art form. This means, s/he must display serious intentions about improving craft, and devoting time to writing and rewriting.
1. Submit two (2) letters of recommendation from non-family member adults who are familiar with your writing, devotion to theatre and/or your work ethic.
2. Submit a cover page which includes: Name, Address, Phone number, Email, and the Title of your writing sample.
3. Submit your Artistic Statement (approximately 250-500 words). This should address why you wish to participate in this program, your goals for the mentorship and how you hope this mentorship will help your theatrical pursuits.
4. Submit a Playwriting Sample (or samples) of between 5-20 pages. You may submit one (1) piece within the page restrictions, or you may submit multiple pieces which have a total page number that falls within the limits. If you are submitting more than one (1) sample writing piece, please put all samples within the same document (simply start a new page with title.). Do not submit multiple attachments/documents of writing samples. You may attach your files in Word or as a PDF.
5. Submit the Parental Consent Form, which must be completed by a parent or guardian.
6. Submit all documents, by November 1, 2015, in one email, to firstname.lastname@example.org. References and parental consent forms should be signed, then scanned and emailed. If you request to mail these documents, email this request to email@example.com.